Michael D. Murphy is an attorney with Farnsworth & Murphy LLC in Atlanta, GA. Before opening Farnsworth & Murphy LLC, Michael worked as a Senior Associate attorney at one of the largest criminal defense firms in Georgia. Michael has handled a wide range of cases from serious felony charges to minor traffic offenses. He has appeared in courtrooms all over the State of Georgia. While in law school, Michael spent time working as an intern with the Dekalb County District Attorney’s Office where he assisted in handling a broad range of cases with the majority of his cases involving felony charges.
Michael’s educational background includes an undergraduate degree in Criminal Justice from the University of Alabama. He also obtained a Juris Doctorate degree from John Marshall Law School in Atlanta, Georgia. Michael is also a graduate of the Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College.
Michael was a member of the John Marshall Moot Court Board, the Student Bar Association, where he acted as a Representative, and he served as President of the Criminal Law Society. In addition, Michael actively participated as a student coach for the Fulton County Teen Court Competition. Michael assisted the students of Coretta Scott King High School in winning the competition.
Michael is a member of the Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, The American Association for Justice, and the Trial Lawyers College Alumni group.
Michael is a native of Marietta, Georgia. His family has lived in Georgia for over twenty-five years and he is happy to call Georgia home. When he is not busy working with clients he likes to spend time with his wife, son, and two dogs.
Areas Of Practice
- Criminal Defense 75%
- Personal Injury 25%
- Georgia, 2011
- U.S. Federal Courts, 2015
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- The John Marshall Law School, Atlanta, Georgia
- J.D. - 2011
- University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- B.S. - 2008
- Major: Criminal Justice
Honors and Awards
- Client Choice Award, Avvo
- Legal Elite, GA Trend Magazine
- 10 Best for Client Satisfaction, American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Georgia Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2011 to Present
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2011 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- W. Scott Smith P.C., Senior Associate, 2011 to 2018
- Dekalb County District Attorney, Intern, 2009 to 2011